While at Uppercut I worked extensively on designing, prototyping and iterating on AIs. It was my first time really diving deep into AI design, and it tied in strongly to work I did designing levels, encounters and rosters for the project. The project itself has a lot of unique mechanics that presented some interesting challenges, and unique opportunities for AI. There was plenty of room to design behaviours to create engaging, and delightfully unexpected gameplay for players. I worked alongside some extremely talented AI programmers to build a varied roster of AI, and became a proficient AI bug hunter in the process. I spent a lot of time identifying and solving pathfinding problems in our maps, and created extensive documentation on how to build levels in order to get pristine pathdata for AI.
I also did a lot of work developing tools and levels to streamline the team’s testing process for new features. This included test levels to prove out the fun factor of different AIs, levels to easily test new mechanics while they were in development, and even levels to test new features of the engine as they came online. Alongside these I also did a great deal of research and built several extensive resources for the team to use.
I of course also wrote and iterated on a myriad of design documentation, presented features to the team, and worked alongside other designers to conceptualise, iterate on, and adapt features until they fulfilled all our goals.
Finally I also took on the role of feature team lead at different points during the project, being responsible for recording the team’s progress on specific features, addressing any issues stopping the team from completing their work, and acting as a communication bridge between my team members, other team’s members and the company’s directors.